PARTNER News

Thursday, November 25

Is there are Twitter #unfollowbug? Should we care?

@ikepigott wrote a #storify about unfollowing:



"Some people want their Twitter to be completely mutual. There are tools that enable this, by easily flagging which people you follow that aren't following you back."



My short answer is NO RULES. Follow or don't follow whoever you want.



That leads to a problem when someone like me connects with someone who seeks a perfect balance of counts and judges by ratios.



Some of them unfollow me.



And sometimes, Twitter, me, apps I'm using, new tools I test, and random bits in the Twitterverse set a follow status beyond anthing we know about.



Unfollow is NOT blocking. It's not saying "I hate you and never want to hear from you"



While I wouldn't think of clicking unfollow because a person said something (other than a very tiny few where the language and topics were really foul on an ongoing basis) I do have to prune and manage where I can. If I do unfollow, I rarely know WHO I'm unfollowing.. so please don't take offense. It's not you.. It's not even me :)



Since I can't read even 1% of the tweets coming through my account.. it really makes little difference if I follow you or you follow me. I'm GRATEFUL that so many people choose to follow me, but I really much more interested in ENGAGEMENT.



I'm not social to find people for a broadcast. We've covered that.. it DOES NOT WORK in social media. We're here for the conversation.. to make a connection and share experiences in order to make, grow and build on relationships.



If I don't follow you, you can still @WarrenWhitlock and talk to me. I read 100% of those tweets and respond to every question.



If you care about me following you.. GREAT.. I'm happy to click "follow" and will see a "@WarrenWhitlock will you follow me?" Tweet as an invitation to have a conversation.



I don't autofollowback, but I do try to follow every person who mentions me in a tweet (No, not you Mr. lurking spammer, I'm on to you and your tricks).



And now the reason for this clip.. PLEASE DON'T WORRY ABOUT THIS.



The attached story about "damaged reputation" is just plain silly. I'm following all the people involved and wish you all well in you pursuit of balance.



If my mentioning this offends you and you unfollow me.. so be it. If you care about that, please care enough to post a comment here or tweet me @WarrenWhitlock. I'd be happy to hear about the economic consequences of the so called #unfollowbug.. though my guess is that anyone @ChrisHerur lost due to this bug would not make a great client :)



(For the Record.. I'm a big fan of Chris and Social Media Club. And like all the other people involved.. great people as far as I know them.

Amplify’d from storify.com




Dot A



Unfollow Bug


by Ike Pigott, 3 hours ago


Saga of the Twitter Unfollow Bug


Read more at storify.com
 

No comments: