PARTNER News

Saturday, August 7

Problem With Twitter Influencer Stats. RT @Julia_Kline

We are not statistics. We are human beings.



Reading this research does help you understand how influence works.. but don't get carried away with algorithms and rankings. For instance, it would be a bad idea to spend a lot of time trying to get Kevin Smith to twee about your latest ebook sales page :)



My tips:



1) post great stuff that people will want to RT.



2) go beyond "Thank you" messages with 5 handles. ENGAGE



3) share and comment the best stuff from your network



And of course.. AMP a good idea... I read this report when it came out, and retweet others posts about it. But when I saw my friend Julia's comment



"@Julia_Kline Like all statistics, this study about retweets as a measure of a Twitterer's influence is interesting, but flawed.... http://fb.me/EsuuK6Il "



I decided to AMP it... hoping to get some more discussion from my friends, add my 2 cents, remind Julia that I appreciate her and put this pretty graphic on my page :)

Amplify’d from mashable.com

Twitter Users Who Rack Up the Retweets Top Most Influential List

Dr. Bernardo A. Huberman, the director of Hewlett-Packard Labs’ Social Computing Lab, and his team analyzed 22 million tweets over 300 hours in September 2009 in order to concoct what he calls the IP Algorithm, which highlights influential Twitter (Twitter) users by assigning them both a score for influence and passivity.

Passivity is the tendency of many followers to passively peruse tweets without sharing them (i.e. retweeting them) with their network. According to the study, the average Twitter user retweets only one in 318 URLs.

Read more at mashable.com
 

No comments: