PARTNER News

Wednesday, August 4

What do you do if you don't have @Comcast? (looking for @CoxCable to engage)

@comcastcares give unbelievable service to Twitter users. Has done this for YEARS now. Every Social Media training includes homage to their excellent team and we've had Frank on the Social Media Radio show



I live in an area with Cox Cable service.



As far as I can tell, they have excellent technology, and for a years I used them as an ISP and loved the service.



We went bi-coastal for a few months in 2009, at one point we were in Vegas and shut off the cable because we don't watch TV and were leaving town for months. We had just bought a CLEAR modem that was supposed to work in Atlanta and Vegas and I thought I was a pretty smart shopper. I assumed I'd go back to Cox in a few months to have dual source as a backup.



Next time we were in Vegas, I got a bill from Cox. Call them to inquire and make sure the bills would stop, and then paid the bill to avoid the hassle.



Months later, knock at the door. Cox guy wanted to get paid or he "has to take our cable box" We didn't have one, so we knew Cox has screwed up. We called a third time to make sure it was off.



Another two months go by and another guy shows up at the door.



Then we get calls on our voice mail telling us that the "cable box people have a special offer for you."  I know from years ago when a friend did cable collection, this is a highly thought out elaborate process they use to get people to reinstate, pay a bill, or at least get to the write off stage. The cable industry has always been very thorough having something at every point of contact to bring you back into the fold.



I've also had an issue with another cable company that LEASED me one of the first cable modems for five years, collect many times the cost of the equipment, and then put a ding for $175 on my credit report when I moved and left it in the house... I KNOW to be careful with cable disconnects :)



A few months back, I decide to let bygones be bygones and take the $19/mo ISP offer to have a back up to CLEAR (they are another brewing). I call Cox and tell them I want the package. I suspect that they will bring up the bill, and assume that at some point we'll work it out or I'll grumble and pay them.



Woman on the phone tells me "sorry, we can't sell you service. You have an outstanding bill".. When asked what I can do, she says "nothing"



Well, it's 4 moths later. They don't have my monthly payment and whatever dozen services they would have talked us into adding.



But that's not why I'm posting.



Today, my co-author on Twitter Revolution, @CoachDeb tweeted about her AT&T ISP service being down and how the tech came out and mad it worse. We had a brief exchange of tweets and NOBODY responded (that I could see).



There are thousands of people that see Deb's tweets, many more see mine. Our references to Cox and AT&T are there for any of the thousands of employees of those compannies to see. I know from expereince that Sprint, T-Mobile, Verizon and one network engineer at Clear see their brands and respond.



And CoxCable has an EASY example to follow.. Maybe the best big company use of Twitter is @ComcastCares



Today, nothing...



This is not the first time I've tried. I've send tweets to @CoxCable and use many variations of Cox Cable and Coxcable in tweets with hashtags, without, with @ sign and without. If anyone were monitoring, they would have noticed.



I've already done a blog post about CoxCable. Got a lot of "Cox Sucks" tweets but nothing from the company.



I'd love to have a happy ending to this story. I'm not looking for special treatment, just a sign that someone has started monitoring social media. I'll probably buy some service from Cox just to add to the story.. but whether I do or not.. I think it's time we all start SQUAWKING about companies that haven't learned to listen.



Do this with LOVE. The people working at Cox are people just like you and me. They will respond when they start listening. The companies that have employees listening and acting as good people do will thrive in the future. I don't want my local cable company to be one that doesn't survive. I want them to "listen and love" (the marketing strategy for the 21st Century).



If you know anyone who works for Cox that may be listening, please let them know about this post.



If you don't know anyone who works for Cox, tell everyone in your network. I believe that someone who know someone who reads this will help us show Cox some love and bring them with us into the 21st Century.

1 comment:

mike_dish said...

Warren, I do apologize about your experience with Cox. There are not a lot of service companies paying attention to social media and actively trying to resolve customer issues. I know of only two - Comcast and DISH Network. As a DISH customer and employee I know that DISH is ranked #1 among all cable and satellite providers in customer satisfaction by the ACSI 2010. If you're looking for the best value and great customer service then you should check out DISH and compare for yourself.